Sample questions relating to Chaddesden leasehold conveyancing
I have just appointed agents to market my 2 bed apartment in Chaddesden.Conveyancing is yet to be initiated but I have just had a half-yearly maintenance charge invoice – should I leave it to the buyer to sort out?
Your conveyancing lawyer is likely to suggest that you should pay the invoice as normal because all ground rent and service charges will be apportioned on completion, so you will be reimbursed by the buyer for the period running from after the completion date to the next payment date. Most managing agents will not acknowledge the buyer until the service charges have been paid and are up to date so it is important for both buyer and seller for the seller to show that they are up to date. This will smooth the conveyancing process.
Last month I purchased a leasehold house in Chaddesden. Do I have any liability for service charges relating to a period prior to my ownership?
Where the service charge has already been demanded from the previous owner and they have not paid you would not usually be personally liable for the arrears. Strange as it may seem, your landlord may still be able to take action to forfeit the lease. It is an essential part of leasehold conveyancing for your conveyancer to ensure to have an up to date clear service charge receipt before completion of your purchase. If you have a mortgage this is likely to be a requirement of your lender.
If you purchase part way through an accounting year you may be liable for charges not yet demanded even if they relate to a period prior to your purchase. In such circumstances your conveyancer would normally arrange for the seller to set aside some money to cover their part of the period (usually called a service charge retention).
Can you provide any advice for leasehold conveyancing in Chaddesden from the point of view of saving time on the sale process?
- Much of the frustration in leasehold conveyancing in Chaddesden can be bypassed where you appoint lawyers the minute your agents start advertising the property and ask them to collate the leasehold information needed by the purchasers’ solicitors.
- If you have carried out any alterations to the premises would they have required Landlord’s consent? Have you, for example installed wooden flooring? Most leases in Chaddesden state that internal structural changes or addition of wooden flooring necessitate a licence from the Landlord acquiescing to such alterations. Should you dont have the approvals to hand you should not communicate with the landlord without checking with your conveyancer before hand.
All being well we will complete the disposal of our £400000 maisonette in Chaddesden next week. The freeholder has quoted £360 for Landlord’s certificate, insurance certificate and previous years statements of service charge. Is it legal for a freeholder to charge such fees for a flat conveyance in Chaddesden?
Chaddesden conveyancing on leasehold apartments nine out of ten times results in administration charges levied by management companies :
- Answering pre-contract enquiries
- Where consent is required before sale in Chaddesden
- Supplying insurance information
- Deeds of covenant upon sale
- Registering of the assignment of the change of lessee after a sale
When it comes to leasehold conveyancing in Chaddesden what are the most frequent lease defects?
Leasehold conveyancing in Chaddesden is not unique. All leases are individual and legal mistakes in the legal wording can sometimes mean that certain provisions are erroneous. The following missing provisions could result in a defective lease:
- Repairing obligations to or maintain elements of the property
- A duty to insure the building
- Clauses dealing with recovering service charges for expenditure on the building or common parts.
- Maintenance charge proportions which don’t add up to the correct percentage
You will encounter difficulties when selling your property if you have a defective lease as they can affect a potential buyer’s ability to obtain a mortgage. HSBC Bank, Virgin Money, and Clydesdale all have very detailed requirements when it comes to what is expected in a lease. If a mortgage lender believes that the lease is defective they may refuse to grant the mortgage, forcing the purchaser to withdraw.
Chaddesden Leasehold Conveyancing - Examples of Queries before buying
Best to be warned whether changing the roof or some other major work is pending that will be shared between the tenants and could well materially increase the the maintenance charges or require a specific invoice.
Are any of leasehold owners in dispute over their service charge liability?
What is the name of the managing agents?