Recently asked questions relating to Clophill leasehold conveyancing
Planning to exchange soon on a garden flat in Clophill. Conveyancing lawyers assured me that they are sending me a report next week. What should I be looking out for?
Your report on title for your leasehold conveyancing in Clophill should include some of the following:
- Details of the parties to the lease, for example these could be the leaseholder (you), head lessor, freeholder
Estate agents have just been given the go-ahead to market my ground floor apartment in Clophill.Conveyancing is yet to be initiated but I have just had a quarterly maintenance charge invoice – Do I pay up?
The sensible thing to do is clear the invoice as normal because all ground rent and service charges will be apportioned on completion, so you will be reimbursed by the buyer for the period running from after the completion date to the next payment date. Most managing agents will not acknowledge the buyer until the service charges have been paid and are up to date so it is important for both buyer and seller for the seller to show that they are up to date. This will smooth the conveyancing process.
My wife and I purchased a leasehold house in Clophill. Conveyancing and Barclays Direct mortgage are in place. A letter has just been received from someone claiming to own the freehold. Attached was a ground rent demand for rent dating back to 1995. The conveyancing practitioner in Clophill who previously acted has now retired.What should I do?
First make enquiries of the Land Registry to be sure that this person is in fact the registered owner of the freehold reversion. There is no need to instruct a Clophill conveyancing firm to do this as it can be done on-line for £3. Rest assured that in any event, even if this is the rightful landlord, under the Limitation Act 1980 the limitation period for recovery of ground rent is six years.
Can you provide any top tips for leasehold conveyancing in Clophill with the intention of expediting the sale process?
- Much of the delay in leasehold conveyancing in Clophill can be avoided if you appoint lawyers the minute you market your property and ask them to collate the leasehold information needed by the buyers lawyers.
- The majority landlords or Management Companies in Clophill charge for providing management packs for a leasehold homes. You or your lawyers should enquire as to the actual amount of the charges. The management information sought as soon as you have a buyer, thus reducing delays. The typical amount of time it takes to obtain the necessary information is three weeks. It is the most frequent cause of delay in leasehold conveyancing in Clophill.
Are there frequently found defects that you see in leases for Clophill properties?
Leasehold conveyancing in Clophill is not unique. All leases are unique and drafting errors can sometimes mean that certain clauses are erroneous. The following missing provisions could result in a defective lease:
- A provision to repair to or maintain parts of the building
- Insurance obligations
- Clauses dealing with recovering service charges for expenditure on the building or common parts.
- Maintenance charge proportions which don’t add up to the correct percentage
You will have a problem when selling your property if you have a defective lease as they can affect a potential buyer’s ability to obtain a mortgage. Nationwide Building Society, Virgin Money, and Alliance & Leicester all have very detailed conveyancing instructions when it comes to what is expected in a lease. If a mortgage lender believes that the lease is defective they may refuse to grant the mortgage, forcing the purchaser to withdraw.
Clophill Conveyancing for Leasehold Flats - Sample of Questions you should ask before Purchasing
You will want to find out as much as possible about the managing agents as they will either make your life much simpler or problematic. As the owner of a leasehold property you are often in the clutches of the managing agents from a financial perspective and when it comes to day to day issues like the upkeep of the communal areas. You should not be shy to ask other people whether they are happy with them. In conclusion, investigate as to the dates that the maintenance charges are due to the managing agents and precisely what you get for your money.
How much is the ground rent and service charge?
In the main the outlay for major works are not built into the service charges, although a few managing agents in Clophill require leaseholders to contribute towards a sinking fund and this is used to offset against major works.