Frequently asked questions relating to Harmondsworth leasehold conveyancing
Having had my offer accepted I require leasehold conveyancing in Harmondsworth. Before diving in I require certainty as to the number of years remaining on the lease.
If the lease is recorded at the land registry - and almost all are in Harmondsworth - then the leasehold title will always include the basic details of the lease, namely the date; the term; and the original parties. From a conveyancing perspective such details then enable any prospective buyer and lender to confirm that any lease they are looking at is the one relevant to that title.For any other purpose, such as confirming how long the term was granted for and calculating what is left, then the register should be sufficient on it's own.
I today plan to offer on a house that appears to meet my requirements, at a reasonable figure which is making it more attractive. I have since found out that it's a leasehold rather than freehold. I would have thought that there are issues buying a house with a leasehold title in Harmondsworth. Conveyancing solicitors have are about to be instructed. Will my lawyers set out the implications of buying a leasehold house in Harmondsworth ?
Most houses in Harmondsworth are freehold rather than leasehold. This is one of the situations where having a local conveyancer who is familiar with the area can assist with the conveyancing process. We note that you are buying in Harmondsworth in which case you should be looking for a Harmondsworth conveyancing solicitor and check that they are used to dealing with leasehold houses. First you will need to check the number of years remaining. Being a tenant you will not be at liberty to do whatever you want to the property. The lease will likely included provisions for example requiring the landlord’sconsent to carry out alterations. It may be necessary to pay a contribution towards the maintenance of the estate where the property is part of an estate. Your solicitor should advise you fully on all the issues.
What are your top tips when it comes to choosing a Harmondsworth conveyancing practice to carry out our lease extension conveyancing?
If you are instructing a solicitor for lease extension works (regardless if they are a Harmondsworth conveyancing practice) it is imperative that they be familiar with the legislation and specialises in this area of conveyancing. We recommend that you speak with two or three firms including non Harmondsworth conveyancing practices before you instructing a firm. If the firm is ALEP accredited then so much the better. Some following of questions could be of use:
- How experienced is the practice with lease extension legislation?
Can you provide any advice for leasehold conveyancing in Harmondsworth with the intention of saving time on the sale process?
- A significant proportion of the delay in leasehold conveyancing in Harmondsworth can be bypassed where you instruct lawyers as soon as your agents start advertising the property and ask them to collate the leasehold information needed by the buyers lawyers.
- The majority freeholders or managing agents in Harmondsworth charge for providing management packs for a leasehold homes. You or your lawyers should enquire as to the fee that they propose to charge. The management information sought on or before finding a buyer, thus reducing delays. The average time it takes to obtain the necessary information is three weeks. It is the most usual reason for frustration in leasehold conveyancing in Harmondsworth.
We expect to complete the disposal of our £175000 garden flat in Harmondsworth in just under a week. The management company has quoted £312 for Certificate of Compliance, building insurance schedule and 3 years service charge statements. Is the landlord entitled to charge exorbitant fees for a leasehold conveyance in Harmondsworth?
Harmondsworth conveyancing on leasehold apartments usually necessitates administration charges levied by managing agents :
- Answering pre-contract questions
- Where consent is required before sale in Harmondsworth
- Supplying insurance information
- Deeds of covenant upon sale
- Registering of the assignment of the change of lessee after a sale
I have attempted and failed to negotiate with my landlord for a lease extension without any joy. Can the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal adjudicate on such matters? Can you recommend a Harmondsworth conveyancing firm to help?
Most definitely. We can put you in touch with a Harmondsworth conveyancing firm who can help.
An example of a Freehold Enfranchisement case for a Harmondsworth property is 164 Nestles Avenue in October 2013. The tribunal agreed with the proposed price of £20,158 for the freehold and determined that that sum is the amount to be paid into court This case related to 2 flats. The the number of years remaining on the existing lease(s) was 69 years.