Examples of recent questions relating to leasehold conveyancing in West Brompton
Having checked my lease I have discovered that there are only 72 years remaining on my lease in West Brompton. I am keen to get lease extension but my landlord is can not be found. What are my options?
On the basis that you qualify, under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 you can submit an application to the County Court for for permission to dispense with the service of the initial notice. This will enable the lease to be extended by the Court. You will be obliged to prove that you or your lawyers have used your best endeavours to find the lessor. For most situations an enquiry agent would be useful to carry out a search and to produce a report to be used as evidence that the landlord is indeed missing. It is wise to seek advice from a property lawyer in relation to proving the landlord’s disappearance and the application to the County Court overseeing West Brompton.
Expecting to sign contracts shortly on a studio apartment in West Brompton. Conveyancing solicitors assured me that they are sending me a report next week. What should I be looking out for?
Your report on title for your leasehold conveyancing in West Brompton should include some of the following:
- You should be sent a copy of the lease
I've found a house that appears to meet my requirements, at a great figure which is making it all the more appealing. I have since been informed that the title is leasehold rather than freehold. I would have thought that there are particular concerns purchasing a leasehold house in West Brompton. Conveyancing solicitors have not yet been instructed. Will they explain the issues?
Most houses in West Brompton are freehold and not leasehold. This is one of the situations where having a local conveyancer who is familiar with the area can assist with the conveyancing process. We note that you are purchasing in West Brompton in which case you should be looking for a West Brompton conveyancing solicitor and check that they have experience in dealing with leasehold houses. As a matter of priority you will need to check the number of years remaining. As a leaseholder you will not be at liberty to do whatever you want to the property. The lease comes with conditions for example requiring the landlord’sconsent to conduct alterations. You may also be required to pay a service charge towards the upkeep of the communal areas where the house is part of an estate. Your conveyancer will report to you on the legal implications.
Do you have any top tips for leasehold conveyancing in West Brompton from the point of view of speeding up the sale process?
- A significant proportion of the frustration in leasehold conveyancing in West Brompton can be bypassed where you appoint lawyers the minute your agents start marketing the property and ask them to collate the leasehold information which will be required by the purchasers’ representatives.
- Many landlords or Management Companies in West Brompton levy fees for providing management packs for a leasehold homes. You or your lawyers should enquire as to the fee that they propose to charge. The management pack can be applied for as soon as you have a buyer, thus reducing delays. The typical amount of time it takes to obtain the necessary information is three weeks. It is the most frequent reason for frustration in leasehold conveyancing in West Brompton.
Our conveyancer has advised that he intends to complete and exchange simultaneously on our sale of a £200000 maisonette in West Brompton next Thursday . The management company has quoted £300 for Certificate of Compliance, insurance certificate and previous years service charge statements. Is the landlord entitled to charge such fees for a leasehold conveyance in West Brompton?
For the majority of leasehold sales in West Brompton conveyancing will involve, questions about the management of a building inevitably needing to be answered directly by the freeholder or its agent, this includes :
- Completing pre-exchange enquiries
- Where consent is required before sale in West Brompton
- Supplying insurance information
- Deeds of covenant upon sale
- Registering of the assignment of the change of lessee after a sale
Having spent months of negotiations we simply can't agree with our landlord on how much the lease extension should cost for our flat in West Brompton. Can we issue an application to the Residential Property Tribunal Service?
Most certainly. We can put you in touch with a West Brompton conveyancing firm who can help.
An example of a Freehold Enfranchisement matter before the tribunal for a West Brompton flat is 5 Wetherby Gardens in June 2014. the Tribunal concluded that the price to be paid for the freehold of the property was £2,369,452. This case affected 5 flats. The unexpired term was 38.98 years.