Top Five Questions relating to Redland leasehold conveyancing
I have recently realised that I have Sixty One years unexpired on my flat in Redland. I now want to extend my lease but my freeholder is absent. What should I do?
If you qualify, under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 you can apply to the County Court for for permission to dispense with the service of the initial notice. This will enable the lease to be lengthened by the Court. However, you will be required to demonstrate that you have used your best endeavours to find the landlord. In some cases a specialist would be helpful to conduct investigations and prepare a report which can be accepted by the court as evidence that the landlord can not be located. It is advisable to get professional help from a solicitor in relation to proving the landlord’s absence and the vesting order request to the County Court covering Redland.
Expecting to complete next month on a basement flat in Redland. Conveyancing solicitors inform me that they are sending me a report within the next couple of days. Are there areas in the report that I should be focusing on?
Your report on title for your leasehold conveyancing in Redland should include some of the following:
- Details of the parties to the lease, for example these could be the leaseholder (you), head lessor, freeholder
I've found a house that seems to tick a lot of boxes, at a reasonable figure which is making it more attractive. I have just discovered that it's a leasehold as opposed to freehold. I am assuming that there are issues purchasing a house with a leasehold title in Redland. Conveyancing solicitors have not yet been appointed. Will they explain the issues?
Most houses in Redland are freehold rather than leasehold. This is one of the situations where having a local conveyancer used to dealing with such properties who can assist with the conveyancing process. It is clear that you are buying in Redland so you should seriously consider looking for a Redland conveyancing practitioner and check that they have experience in transacting on leasehold houses. As a matter of priority you will need to check the unexpired lease term. As a lessee you will not be at liberty to do whatever you want to the property. The lease comes with conditions for example requiring the freeholder’spermission to carry out alterations. It may be necessary to pay a contribution towards the maintenance of the communal areas where the property is part of an estate. Your conveyancer will report to you on the legal implications.
Can you provide any advice for leasehold conveyancing in Redland from the point of view of expediting the sale process?
- Much of the delay in leasehold conveyancing in Redland can be avoided where you get in touch lawyers the minute your agents start advertising the property and request that they start to put together the leasehold documentation needed by the buyers lawyers.
- The majority landlords or Management Companies in Redland charge for providing management packs for a leasehold homes. You or your lawyers should discover the actual amount of the charges. The management pack can be applied for as soon as you have a buyer, thus accelerating the process. The average time it takes to receive management information is three weeks. It is the most usual reason for frustration in leasehold conveyancing in Redland.
Our conveyancer has advised that he intends to complete and exchange simultaneously on the disposal of our £425000 garden flat in Redland in nine days. The managing agents has quoted £324 for Landlord’s certificate, building insurance schedule and previous years service charge statements. Is it legal for a freeholder to charge an administration fee for a leasehold conveyance in Redland?
For the majority of leasehold sales in Redland conveyancing will involve, queries regarding the management of a building inevitably needing to be answered directly by the freeholder or its agent, this includes :
- Completing pre-contract questions
- Where consent is required before sale in Redland
- Supplying insurance information
- Deeds of covenant upon sale
- Registering of the assignment of the change of lessee after a sale
Redland Conveyancing for Leasehold Flats - Examples of Questions you should consider before buying
For most Redland leaseholds the cost for major works tend not to be included within service charges, although some managing agents in Redland obliged tenants to contribute towards a sinking fund and this is used to offset against major repairs or maintenance.
How many of the leaseholders are in arrears for their service charge payments?
Is there a share of the freehold?